American Express Stock Pulls Back After Wall Street Journal Report

American Express' forex department is in hot water

Managing Editor
Jul 30, 2018 at 9:42 AM
facebook X logo linkedin


American Express Company (NYSE:AXP) stock is trading down 2.3% at $101.46 this morning, after the Wall Street Journal reported the financial concern's foreign exchange department (subscription required) has been secretly raising its clients' currency conversion rates. The practice, which was an attempt to boost revenue and employee commission, has reportedly been going on since 2004. 

American Express stock is fresh off a record high of $104.23 on Friday. However, today's pullback takes the stock just above its year-to-date breakeven level. The shares are now testing their 20-day moving average, a trendline that acted as strong support earlier this month.

Analysts are relatively split over the Dow name. Exactly 40% of the brokerages covering AXP rate it a "strong buy," while the other 60% rate it a tepid "hold." In addition, the security's consensus 12-month price target of $111.32 is a nearly 10% premium to the stock's current perch.

In the options pits, puts have become more popular lately. This is evident with data from the International Securities Exchange (ISE), Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE), and NASDAQ OMX PHLX (PHLX) showing the security with a 10-day put/call volume ratio of 1.59, in the 76th annual percentile. 

Echoing this, American Express stock's short-term traders are more put-skewed than usual, with its Schaeffer's put/call open interest ratio (SOIR) of 1.53 ranking in the 93rd percentile of its annual range. This indicates that near-term put open interest outweighs call open interest by a wider-than-usual margin right now. Meanwhile, unusually low volatility expectations are being priced into near-term AXP options, based on its Schaeffer's Volatility Index (SVI) of 15% -- ranking in the low 14th annual percentile.

 

Target Effortless Triple-Digit Gains Every Sunday Evening For Life!

This is your chance to triple your profit potential on Sunday evenings, without spending all your free time watching the market.

On Sundays, as a Weekend Plus subscriber, you’ll get up to 6 trades every Sunday, each targeting gains of 200% or more.

Start targeting gains like the ones our subscribers have seen recently, including:

213.3% GAIN on AutoNation calls
100.0% GAIN on Monster Beverage calls
100.4% GAIN on Walgreens Boots Alliance puts
100.4% GAIN on ON Semiconductor calls
257.7% GAIN on Dell calls

101.0% GAIN on Apollo Global Management calls
103.6% GAIN on JP Morgan  Chase calls
105.3% GAIN on DraftKings calls
101.3% GAIN on Airbnb calls
203.0% GAIN on Shopify calls
102.0% GAIN on Cboe Global Markets calls
100.9% GAIN on Boeing calls
102.1% GAIN on Microsoft puts
102.3% GAIN on First Solar calls
101.5% GAIN on PulteGroup calls
101.0% GAIN on Apple calls
209.4% GAIN on NXP Semiconductors calls
100.8% GAIN on Uber Technologies calls
100.4% GAIN on Academy Sports and Outdoors puts
102.2% GAIN on Trade Desk calls
100.8% GAIN on DoorDash calls
100.0% GAIN on Camping World Holdings puts
100.0% GAIN on Cboe Global Markets calls
100.2% GAIN on C3.ai calls
238.5% GAIN on Oracle calls

 
 
 


 
 

Rainmaker Ads CGI