The Solar Stock Up Over 35% Today

Pearson stock is up after the company reported an upbeat revenue outlook

Managing Editor
Oct 17, 2017 at 1:32 PM
facebook twitter linkedin

The Dow is modestly higher today, and just topped the 23,000 level for the first time ever. Among specific stocks on the move are educational product name Pearson plc (NYSE:PSO), solar power firm TerraForm Power Inc (NASDAQ:TERP), and water technology expert Badger Meter, Inc. (NYSE:BMI). Here's a quick look at what is moving shares of PSO, TERP, and BMI.

Pearson Stock Surging After Upbeat Profit Forecast

Pearson stock is up 6.8% to trade at $8.76, among the best on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), after the education name lifted its full-year profit forecast for 2017. The London-based publisher also said its North American business component has improved.

It's a much needed boost for PSO stock, which has shed more than 12% year-to-date. However, the rally is running out of steam near $8.80 -- home to the stock's mid-July pre-bear gap highs, and an area that contained Pearson in late July and early August.

Analysts, meanwhile, are divided over PSO. Exactly 40% of the brokerages covering Pearson stock rate it a "strong buy," while the other 60% rate it a "hold" or "sell." 

TerraForm Power Stock Powered By Strong Revenue Guidance

TerraForm Power is the second hottest stock on the Nasdaq Composite today, up 35.7% to trade at $13.05, after the company a strong pro-forma revenue forecast. The news has the solar stock on track for its best daily percentage gain since the 2014 initial public offering (IPO), and earlier hit a 23-month high of $13.35.

A short squeeze could give TERP stock some more life. Short interest decreased by nearly 5% during the last reporting period, but the 6.41 million shares sold short still represents a healthy 10% of the stock's total available float. At TERP's average daily trading volume, it would take a whopping 17 days for shorts to fully cover their positions.

Badger Meter Stock Sinks After Earnings Disappointment 

Badger Meter reported third-quarter earnings that came in below the consensus estimate, as well as a fifth straight quarterly revenue miss. In reaction, BMI stock is down 13.5% to trade at $43.95, the worst performer on the NYSE today and below its 50-day moving average-- which served as support in July -- for the first time since a late-April bull gap.

Most analysts are cautious toward BMI stock, with four of five rating it a tepid "hold." However, the equity's average 12-month price-target of $49.50 represents an 11.5% premium to the stock's current perch. This suggests price-target cuts may be on the horizon.


If you are not making money with options, you aren’t buying options like this…

There is no options strategy that more perfectly approaches trading the fastest moving and most volatile stocks available in the marketplace than this one. In fact, there is no strategy that better utilizes put options for optimal returns and a real trading edge over other traders in the exact same market. New options traders fail out at an incredible rate without proper trade research, execution timing, and option picking. Capitalize on Schaeffer’s 100+ years of options trading excellence with the most coveted product launch in company history. Don't waste another second... join us right now before the next round of trades are released!

Schaeffer's Investment Research Master Portfolio Trial


Special Offers from Schaeffer's Trading Partners