Analyst Downgrades: GameStop, EMC Corp, American Eagle

Analysts downwardly revised their ratings on GameStop Corp. (GME), EMC Corporation (EMC), and American Eagle Outfitters (AEO)

Mar 27, 2015 at 9:25 AM
facebook X logo linkedin


Analysts are weighing in on video game retailer GameStop Corp. (NYSE:GME), IT service provider EMC Corporation (NYSE:EMC), and clothing concern American Eagle Outfitters (NYSE:AEO). Here's a quick roundup of today's bearish brokerage notes on GME, EMC, and AEO.

  • GME is pointed 4.2% lower in electronic trading, after last night's disappointing sales and full-year guidance was met with a round of bearish brokerage notes. Drilling down, no fewer than seven firms lowered their ratings on the equity, with the most dramatic cut coming from Benchmark, which decreased its price target to $27.98. Meanwhile, B. Riley downgraded GME to "neutral" and trimmed its price target to $44. On the charts, GameStop Corp. is up 22.4% from its Jan. 12 annual low of $31.69, to close yesterday at $38.79. Accordingly, option traders were picking up long calls at a rapid-fire rate ahead of earnings, as GME's 10-day International Securities Exchange (ISE), Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE), and NASDAQ OMX PHLX (PHLX) call/put volume ratio of 2.54 ranks higher than 85% of all equivalent readings taken over the past year. Meanwhile, nearly 45% of GME's available float is sold short, which would take roughly six weeks to cover, at average trading volumes.

  • Last night, Pacific Crest cut its rating on EMC to "sector perform" from "outperform," sending the shares about 0.6% lower ahead of the bell. The downgrade comes as no surprise, considering that the shares of EMC Corporation have fallen 13.2% year-to-date to close yesterday at $25.81. As such, put buying in the options pits is nearing a yearly peak, as EMC's 50-day ISE/CBOE/PHLX put/call volume ratio of 0.62 stands in the 99th percentile of its annual range.

  • AEO is down nearly 4.6% in pre-market trading, after Goldman Sachs reduced its opinion of the stock to "sell" from "neutral," citing waning mall traffic, growing competition, and high earnings expectations. The downgrade is somewhat surprising, given that the shares of American Eagle Outfitters have advanced 39.6% year-over-year to close yesterday at $16.92. What's more, the stock notched a fresh annual high of $17.40 on March 16. Option buyers have also grown increasingly pessimistic, as AEO's 50-day ISE/CBOE/PHLX put/call volume ratio of 2.88 is higher than 99% of all equivalent readings taken over the past 12 months. Elsewhere, the brokerage bunch is divided on the equity, with 48% of covering analysts rating the stock a "buy" or better, and the remaining 52% doling out "hold" or worse ratings.
 

Target Effortless Triple-Digit Gains Every Sunday Evening For Life!

This is your chance to triple your profit potential on Sunday evenings, without spending all your free time watching the market.

On Sundays, as a Weekend Plus subscriber, you’ll get up to 6 trades every Sunday, each targeting gains of 200% or more.

Start targeting gains like the ones our subscribers have seen recently, including:

213.3% GAIN on AutoNation calls
100.0% GAIN on Monster Beverage calls
100.4% GAIN on Walgreens Boots Alliance puts
100.4% GAIN on ON Semiconductor calls
257.7% GAIN on Dell calls

101.0% GAIN on Apollo Global Management calls
103.6% GAIN on JP Morgan  Chase calls
105.3% GAIN on DraftKings calls
101.3% GAIN on Airbnb calls
203.0% GAIN on Shopify calls
102.0% GAIN on Cboe Global Markets calls
100.9% GAIN on Boeing calls
102.1% GAIN on Microsoft puts
102.3% GAIN on First Solar calls
101.5% GAIN on PulteGroup calls
101.0% GAIN on Apple calls
209.4% GAIN on NXP Semiconductors calls
100.8% GAIN on Uber Technologies calls
100.4% GAIN on Academy Sports and Outdoors puts
102.2% GAIN on Trade Desk calls
100.8% GAIN on DoorDash calls
100.0% GAIN on Camping World Holdings puts
100.0% GAIN on Cboe Global Markets calls
100.2% GAIN on C3.ai calls
238.5% GAIN on Oracle calls

 
 
 


 
 

Rainmaker Ads CGI