Stocks quoted in this article:
Bulls are cheering today as positive news out of the euro zone has propelled the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJI - 12,343.23) 215 points, or 1.8%, higher, extending Tuesday's gain. Elsewhere, the CBOE Market Volatility Index (VIX - 23.19) is down 1.5 points, or 6%.
Here are a few noteworthy stats at midday:
- The equity put/call volume ratio across all nine options exchanges stands at 0.91, with 3.5 million calls crossing the tape so far today, versus 3.3 million puts.
- Among the securities with call-heavy activity is Yahoo (YHOO - 15.33), which has tacked on about 1.6% today. Currently, calls make up 94.01% of the Internet giant's intraday option volume.
- The put/call volume ratio on the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) sits at 0.64, with calls comfortably outnumbering puts.
- The Nasdaq shows an advance/decline ratio of 4.67, signaling that the number of upward movers more than quadruples the decliners.
- Among the Nasdaq's major advancers is Ulta Salon, Cosmetics, & Fragrance (ULTA - 97.70), which has gained about 11.8% in intraday trading. The beauty products and services provider tagged a new record high of $97.89 after reporting stronger-than-expected first-quarter earnings.
- Bullish sentiment declined last week, according to the latest Investors Intelligence survey.