Stocks quoted in this article:
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJI - 12,619.55) has soared 85 points, or 0.7%, higher today, as Wall Street cheers yet another round of encouraging housing data, as well as a better-than-expected durable goods report. Conversely, the CBOE Market Volatility Index (VIX - 19.61) has shed 0.1 point, or 0.6%.
Here are a few noteworthy stats at midday:
- The equity put/call volume ratio across all nine options exchanges stands at 0.97, with 2.1 million puts being exchanged so far today, compared to 2.2 million calls.
- Among the equities seeing heavy put activity is Anheuser-Busch InBev NV (NYSE:BUD - 73.02). The stock has added 0.5%, as the beer maker continues its acquisition-related talks with Mexico's Grupo Modelo. Options players have paid no mind to today's advance, though, with puts accounting for 94% of the equity's intraday activity.
- The put/call volume ratio on the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) sits at 1.04, with calls and puts relatively even-keeled.
- The Nasdaq shows an advance/decline ratio of 2.39, indicating that the number of advancing equities more than doubles the number of declining stocks.
- Among the Nasdaq components enjoying positive price action today is Biogen Idec Inc. (NASDAQ:BIIB - 143.23), with the stock tagging an all-time high of $143.74 in early trading. On Tuesday, the manager of the T. Rowe Price Health Sciences Fund waxed optimistic about growth opportunity among biotech firms. At last check, BIIB was up 0.9%.
- Bullish sentiment rose last week, according to the latest Investors Intelligence survey. The percentage of financial advisors with a bullish view on stocks climbed to 38.7% from 37.2%, while the percentage bearish fell to 24.7% from 25.6%. Meanwhile, the percentage of investors expecting a market correction backpedaled to 36.6% from 37.2%.