Stocks quoted in this article:
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJI - 12,628.29) has managed to partially recover from yesterday's sharp decline, adding 55 points, or 0.4%, so far in the session. Elsewhere, the CBOE Market Volatility Index (VIX - 18.73) is down 1.4 points, or 6.7%.
Here are a few noteworthy stats at midday:
- The equity put/call volume ratio across all nine options exchanges stands at 1.08, with 2.7 million puts being traded so far today, versus to 2.5 million calls.
- Among the equities with heavy put activity is The Progressive Corporation (PGR - 20.61), which remains flat with yesterday's close. Currently, puts make up 98.7% of the insurance issue's current intraday option volume.
- The put/call volume ratio on the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) stands at 1.26, with puts comfortably outpacing calls.
- The Nasdaq shows an advance/decline ratio of 2.80, signaling that the number of upward movers nearly triples the decliners.
- Among the Nasdaq's major advancers is First Solar, Inc. (FSLR - 15.87), which has gained about 9.2% in intraday trading. The alternative energy concern received approval from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Works to resume construction on a solar power project -- a move that will create around 400 jobs and ultimately provide electricity to approximately 75,000 homes.