Stocks quoted in this article:
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJI - 12,823.82) is up 222 points, or 1.8%, thanks to some much-needed upbeat news out of the debt-riddled euro zone. Elsewhere, the CBOE Market Volatility Index (VIX - 17.99) is down 1.7 points, or 8.7%.
Here are a few noteworthy stats at midday:
- The equity put/call volume ratio across all nine options exchanges stands at 0.90, with 4.0 million calls changing hands so far today, compared to 3.6 million puts.
- Among the equities with call-heavy activity is medical supplies manufacturer Baxter International Inc. (NYSE:BAX - 52.75), which has added about 2.3% so far today. Currently, calls make up 97.8% of the stock's intraday option volume.
- The put/call volume ratio on the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) sits at 1.54, with puts comfortably outpacing calls.
- The New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) shows an advance/decline ratio of 6.88, signaling that the number of upward movers outstrips the decliners by a margin of nearly seven to one.
- Among the NYSE's major advancers is Constellation Brands Inc (NYSE:STZ - 26.67), which has soared by about 22.6% in intraday trading -- and tagged a new multi-year high of $26.99 in the process. The adult beverage behemoth announced that it will purchase the remaining 50% stake of Crown Imports LLC for around $1.85 billion from Anheuser-Busch InBev (NYSE:BUD).