Stocks quoted in this article:
Here are the results for today's unusual stock volume scan. The scan looks at the previous day's volume and compares it to the recent average volume. It then sorts the stocks based on those that showed the biggest increase (the "unusual" part) in volume.
Companies included in today's scan are: NCI, Inc. (NCIT), Home BancShares, Inc. (HOMB), Valassis Communications Inc (VCI), Given Imaging. (GIVN), IDEXX Laboratories (IDXX), Pharmasset, Inc. (VRUS), Dollar Financial Corp. (DLLR), Haemonetics (HAE), Boston Scientific Corp (BSX), Gray Television (GTN), Trex (TWP), Integrated Silicon Solution Inc (ISSI), InterMune (ITMN), Sohu.com (SOHU), Gannett Co. (GCI), Toyota Motor (TM), Sinclair Broadcast Group (SBGI), Acorn International, Inc. (ATV), Amazon.com Inc (AMZN), Brocade Communications Systems (BRCD), CombinatoRx, Incorporated (CRXX), Columbia Sportswear (COLM), Sina Corp. (SINA), Ocean Power Technologies Inc (OPTT), Shuffle Master Inc (SHFL).
These are the top stocks from today's scan, which has some basic filters to eliminate stocks that don't trade frequently. A description of the column headings is below.
- Move Previous Day - yesterday's percent return.
- Volume Increase - looks at the previous day's volume and compares it to the recent average volume. It then sorts the stocks based on those that showed the biggest increase (the "unusual" part) in volume.
- Close - yesterday's closing price.
- Total Ratings - number of analysts who track the stock, according to Zacks.
- Buy Percent - percent of the analysts who rate the stock as a "buy". I use this to help gauge sentiment and potential buying demand. If everyone already loves a stock, that means a steady stream of new money will need to enter the stock to fuel a rally.
Note - sentiment data is current as of the previous trading day...