Stocks quoted in this article:
Here are the results for today's unusual stock volume scan. The scan looks at the previous day's volume and compares it to the recent average volume. It then sorts the stocks based on those that showed the biggest increase (the "unusual" part) in volume.
Companies included in today's scan are: West Bancorporation (WTBA), Biodel Inc. (BIOD), AuthenTec, Inc. (AUTH), Applied Signal Technology (APSG), Midwest Banc (MBHI), Avid Technology (AVID), America First Mortgage Investments (MFA), Anworth Asset Mortgage (ANH), Spirit AeroSystems Holdings, Inc. (SPR), Washington Mutual (WM), Parametric Technology (PMTC), Nissan Motor Co. (NSANY), Synchronoss Technologies, Inc. (SNCR), Zions Bancorporation (ZION), City National (CYN), Unilever PLC (UL), Astoria Financial (AF), Annaly Mortgage Management (NLY), Double-Take Software, Inc. (DBTK), Signature Bank (SBNY), Texas Capital Bancshares (TCBI), Westamerica Bancorporation (WABC), GLAXOSMITHKLINE PLC (GSK), Pulte Homes (PHM), La-Z-Boy Incorporated (LZB).
These are the top stocks from today's scan, which has some basic filters to eliminate penny stocks and those that don't trade frequently. A description of the column headings is below.
- Move Previous Day - yesterday's percent return.
- Volume Increase - looks at the previous day's volume and compares it to the recent average volume. It then sorts the stocks based on those that showed the biggest increase (the "unusual" part) in volume.
- Close - yesterday's closing price.
- Total Ratings - number of analysts who track the stock, according to Zacks.
- Buy Percent - percent of the analysts who rate the stock as a "buy". I use this to help gauge sentiment and potential buying demand. If everyone already loves a stock, that means a steady stream of new money will need to enter the stock to fuel a rally.
Note - sentiment data is current as of the previous trading day...