Schaeffer's Trading Floor Blog

Blue Chip Debate

by 5/17/2005 10:30 AM
Stocks quoted in this article:

In the past I have mentioned concerns regarding the complacency on "blue chips" such as IBM and AIG...

For those whose want to see the bullish case for these stocks, check out this recent article from New York Times - "The Shopper's Guide to Those Blue-Chip Specials"...

permanent link
Stocks quoted in this article:

As usual, this table lists stocks that have at least 10 percent of their float sold short and then shows the top ten based on the previous day's gain. The last field shows how the stock is performing in today's session. This can be a useful tool for finding situations where stocks with heavy short interest have begun to move. All returns are shown in percentages.

Note - more information on short interest can be found by clicking here.

Company Yesterday's
Percent of Float
Sold Short
American Healthways, Inc. (AMHC) 9.4 19.5 39.42 -1.17
Pantry, Inc. (The) (PTRY) 8.7 12.6 36.70 -0.65
Hot Topic, Inc. (HOTT) 8.4 20.3 20.99 0.81
Northwest Airlines Corporation (NWAC) 8.3 28.1 5.34 -1.68
DOV Pharmaceutical, Inc. (DOVP) 6.7 11.5 15.50 1.10
JAKKS Pacific, Inc. (JAKK) 6.7 16.5 20.55 -1.02, Inc. (OSTK) 6.7 51.3 37.83 -2.69
99 CENTS ONLY STORES (NDN) 6.6 12.3 10.71 1.87
Fred's, Inc. (FRED) 6.3 13.6 14.79 0.27
Sierra Wireless, Inc. (SWIR) 5.7 18.3 8.04 0.50

permanent link

At the Open

by 5/17/2005 10:03 AM
Stocks quoted in this article:

Stocks are open and here is what I see...

As expected, there was a negative bias at the open but the broad market indices are trying to bounce back from their worst levels. Overall, the drawdowns are so far minimal. Oil related stocks are trying to bounce even as crude trades lower. Gold stocks are bouncing after hitting another new annual low yesterday...

permanent link
Stocks quoted in this article:

A higher than expected producer price index caused a quick downtick in stock futures, but they are now fighting their way back...

Chart Courtesy of Thomson/ILX

According to the Dow Jones Newswires, the overall PPI was expected to increase 0.4 percent while the core number was expected to rise 0.2 percent. However, the overall PPI showed a 0.6 percent rise while the core increased 0.3 percent.

The S&Ps still sit three points below fair value...


permanent link

Good Morning

by 5/17/2005 8:24 AM
Stocks quoted in this article:

We follow yesterday's rally with some weakness as S&P futures sit three and a half points below fair value. Gold is up 70 cents to 420.00. Oil is down 11 cents 48.50.

permanent link

Partner Center

© 2014 Schaeffer's Investment Research, Inc. 5151 Pfeiffer Road, Suite 250, Cincinnati, Ohio 45242 Phone: (800) 448-2080 FAX: (513) 589-3810 Int'l Callers: (513) 589-3800 Email:

All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized reproduction of any SIR publication is strictly prohibited.

Market Data provided by | Data delayed 15-20 minutes unless otherwise indicated.