Stocks quoted in this article:
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (INDEXDJX:.DJI) is up 146 points, or 1%, to 14,712.71, as Wall Street celebrates upbeat earnings reports from companies including Travelers Companies Inc. (NYSE:TRV) and Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX). Elsewhere, the Commerce Department said new home sales increased by 1.5% last month to a seasonally adjusted yearly rate of 417,000, which was slightly shy of economists' projections. Meanwhile, the Federal Housing Finance Agency's (FHFA) home price index rose by a larger-than-expected 0.7% in February. Also of note, the preliminary Markit flash purchasing managers' index (PMI) arrived at 52.0 in April, down from March's final reading of 54.6.
Here are a few noteworthy stats at midday:
- The equity put/call volume ratio across all 11 options exchanges is docked at 0.82, with 4.0 million calls exchanged so far today, versus 3.3 million puts.
- Among the equities with call-skewed activity is Coach, Inc. (NYSE:COH), which has gained more than 10% since the opening bell, thanks to a stronger-than-anticipated quarterly earnings report. Currently, calls account for 65.7% of the security's intraday option volume. At last check, COH was trading at $55.76.
- The New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) shows an advance/decline ratio of 4.82, with the number of upward movers outstripping the decliners by a margin of nearly 5-to-1.
- Among the NYSE's major advancers is Toll Brothers Inc (NYSE:TOL), which has spiked about 9% today, after the stock was upgraded to "overweight" from "underweight" at Barclays this morning. The brokerage firm -- which also upped its ratings on several other housing stocks -- said it expects new home prices to rise 10% this year, and 8% in 2014. TOL is presently trading at $34.05.
- The CBOE Market Volatility Index (INDEXCBOE:VIX) is 0.8 point, or 5.6%, lower, to hover at 13.59.
- The put/call volume ratio on the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSEARCA:VXX) -- currently perched at 18.97 -- sits at 1.26, with puts outnumbering calls.
View a real-time chart of the Dow Jones Industrial Average 2 Minute (INDEXDJX:.DJI) here.