Stocks quoted in this article:
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (INDEXDJX:.DJI) is down 8 points, or 0.1%, to 14,529.30, following the latest round of earnings reports, which included lackluster results from International Business Machines Corp. (NYSE:IBM) and General Electric Company (NYSE:GE). The blue-chip barometer is on pace to finish the week 2.3% lower.
Here are a few noteworthy stats at midday:
- The equity put/call volume ratio across all 11 options exchanges is docked at 1.04, with 4.3 million puts crossing the tape so far today, versus 4.1 million calls.
- Among the equities with heavy put activity is Skyworks Solutions Inc (NASDAQ:SWKS), despite tacking on 0.3% since the opening bell. Currently, puts represent 89.7% of the security's intraday option volume. At last check, SWKS was trading at $20.20.
- The New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) shows an advance/decline ratio of 3.16, with the number of upward movers nearly tripling the decliners.
- Among the NYSE's major advancers is Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc. (NYSE:CMG), which has gained about 9.6% in intraday action, after topping analysts' bottom-line earnings projections post-close yesterday. The results also trigged a wave of bullish brokerage notes, as BMO lifted its price target to $375 from $310 this morning, while Credit Suisse, Barclays, Lazard, RBC, and Jefferies also upwardly revised their respective price targets. CMG is presently trading at $359.78.
- Optimism increased during the week ended April 17, according to the latest survey by the American Association of Individual Investors (AAII). The percentage of investors with a bullish view on stocks rose to 26.9% from 19.3%, while the percentage bearish fell to 48.2% from 54.5%. Meanwhile, the percentage neutral dropped to 24.9% from 26.2%.
- The CBOE Market Volatility Index (INDEXCBOE:VIX) is 2.4 points, or 13.4%, lower, to hover at 15.21.
- The put/call volume ratio on the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSEARCA:VXX) -- currently perched at 20.68 -- sits at 1.66, with puts easily outnumbering calls.
View a real-time chart of the Dow Jones Industrial Average 2 Minute (INDEXDJX:.DJI) here.