Stocks quoted in this article:
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (INDEXDJX:.DJI) is down 19 points, or 0.1%, to 14,700.26, as an upbeat earnings report from The Boeing Company (NYSE:BA) has been offset by poorly received results from fellow blue-chip components The Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE:PG) and AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T). Adding insult to injury, the Commerce Department said durable goods orders fell by a steeper-than-expected 5.7% last month, marking their biggest decline in seven months.
Here are a few noteworthy stats at midday:
- The equity put/call volume ratio across all 11 options exchanges sits at 0.77, with 3.8 million calls traded so far today, compared to 3.0 million puts.
- Among the equities with heavy call activity is Corning Incorporated (NYSE:GLW), which has added about 4.7% since the opening bell, after topping analysts' bottom-line earnings estimates. The company also upped its quarterly dividend payout by a penny. Currently, calls make up 95.6% of the security's intraday option volume. At last check, GLW was trading at $13.75.
- The New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) shows an advance/decline ratio of 1.61, with the number of upward movers outweighing the decliners.
- Among the NYSE's major advancers is Boyd Gaming Corporation (NYSE:BYD), which has gained about 17% -- and tagged a new multi-year high of $10.55 -- in intraday action, courtesy of a stronger-than-anticipated first-quarter earnings report. BYD is presently trading at $10.44.
- The CBOE Market Volatility Index (INDEXCBOE:VIX) is 0.1 point, or 0.5%, higher, to linger in the 13.55 neighborhood.
- The put/call volume ratio on the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSEARCA:VXX) -- currently docked at 19.05 -- checks in at 0.81, with calls outpacing puts.
View a real-time chart of the Dow Jones Industrial Average 2 Minute (INDEXDJX:.DJI) here.