Stocks quoted in this article:
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (INDEXDJX:.DJI) is up 83 points, or 0.6%, to 15,218.93, extending Friday's rally, which was triggered by a positive jobs report. Turning to today's economic docket, the Federal Reserve is on tap to release its consumer credit update at 3:00 p.m. ET, while Alcoa Inc (NYSE:AA) will unofficially kick off earnings season after the closing bell.
Here are a few noteworthy stats at midday:
- The equity put/call volume ratio across all 11 options exchanges checks in at 0.94, with 3 million calls exchanged so far today, compared to 2.8 million puts.
- Among the equities with call-heavy activity is Synovus Financial Group Corp. (NYSE:SNV), which tagged a new multi-year high of $3.15 before turning south. Currently, calls make up 91.7% of the security's intraday option volume. At last check, SNV was off 1.3% to trade at $3.06.
- The Nasdaq shows an advance/decline ratio of 1.36, with the number of upward movers outstripping the decliners.
- Among the Nasdaq's major advancers is LinnCo LLC (NASDAQ:LNCO), which has jumped about 12% in intraday action, after receiving some bullish analyst attention this morning. Specifically, the stock was upgraded at BofA-Merrill Lynch (to "buy" from "neutral") and Baird (to "outperform" from "neutral"). However, the latter also reduced its price target to $34 from $48. LNCO is presently trading at $29.56.
- The CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) is 0.3 point, or 1.9%, higher, to linger in the 15.17 neighborhood.
- The put/call volume ratio on the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSEARCA:VXX) -- which is currently perched at 18.50 -- sits at 1.27, with puts outweighing calls.
View a real-time chart of the Dow Jones Industrial Average (INDEXDJX:.DJI).