Stocks quoted in this article:
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJI - 12,859.90) is up 45 points, or 0.4%, boosted by a better-than-expected fourth-quarter earnings report from Dow component The Home Depot, Inc. (NYSE:HD). The upbeat earnings news has even managed to steal a bit of the spotlight away from the much-discussed "fiscal cliff," albeit temporarily. Elsewhere, the CBOE Market Volatility Index (VIX - 16.32) is 0.4 point, or 2.2%, lower.
Here are a few noteworthy stats at midday:
- The equity put/call volume ratio across all 10 options exchanges checks in at 1.02, with 3.1 million puts exchanged so far today, compared to 3.0 million calls.
- Among the equities with put-skewed activity is MetroPCS Communications Inc (NYSE:PCS - 10.33), despite tacking on nearly 3% today. Currently, puts make up 92.6% of the security's intraday option volume.
- The put/call volume ratio on the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSEARCA:VXX - 34.17) stands at 1.00, with calls equaling puts.
- The New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) shows an advance/decline ratio of 0.98, with the number of decliners just slightly outpacing the upward movers.
- Among the NYSE's major advancers is Dick's Sporting Goods Inc (NYSE:DKS - 51.17), which has gained more than 5% in intraday action after revealing third-quarter earnings results that topped analysts' projections.