Stocks quoted in this article:
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (INDEXDJX:.DJI) has edged higher today, currently up 79.68 points, or 0.49%, to 16,439.86, while the S&P 500 Index (SPX) tagged another record intraday high, following this morning's round of economic data. First up, the number of Americans filing initial jobless claims fell by more than expected, to a seasonally adjusted 323,000 last week, the lowest level in three months. However, U.S. productivity grew at a slower-than-anticipated rate in the fourth quarter, labor costs saw a slimmer-than-expected decline, and U.S. factory orders fell for the second straight month.
Here are a few noteworthy stats at midday:
- The equity put/call volume ratio across all 12 options exchanges stands at 0.66. Roughly 4.17 million calls, compared to about 2.77 million puts, have crossed the tape so far.
- Among the names with call-heavy trading activity today is Boyd Gaming Corporation (NYSE:BYD), which has seen 85.4% of its intraday options volume change hands on the call side. On the charts, BYD shares are up 2.3% to trade at $11.88, after the company reported fourth-quarter earnings and expressed interest in joining the Japanese casino market.
- The New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) shows an advance/decline ratio of 1.61, with advancers outpacing declining stocks by a margin of nearly 5-to-3.
- Among the top outperformers on the NYSE today is Trina Solar Limited (ADR) (NYSE:TSL), which has extended its earnings-induced gains into today's session. At last check, the stock was up 8.8% to trade at $17.73, after touching a two-plus-year high of $18.21.
- The CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) is trading below the 14 mark for the second consecutive day, currently down 1.2% to 13.73.
- The iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSEARCA:VXX) has fallen 0.63% today to $42.93. Meanwhile, the ETN's put/call volume ratio stands at 0.77, with call volume healthily outpacing put volume.
View a real-time chart of the Dow Jones Industrial Average (INDEXDJX:.DJI).