Stocks quoted in this article:
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (INDEXDJX:.DJI) is standing 44.73 points, or 0.29%, higher this afternoon at 15,673.26, as Wall Street digests the nonfarm payrolls report for January. The U.S. economy saw 113,000 jobs added this past month, falling short of economists' projected growth of 189,000. Meanwhile, the unemployment rate dropped to its lowest level since October 2008, and average hourly wages increased by 5 cents.
Here are a few noteworthy stats at midday:
- The equity put/call volume ratio across all 12 options exchanges stands at 0.89. Roughly 4.1 million calls, compared to about 3.7 million puts, have crossed the tape so far.
- Among the names with call-heavy trading activity today is Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ:ATVI), which has seen 71.5% of its intraday options volume change hands on the call side. On the charts, the shares are up 14.6% to perch at $19.67, after hitting a record high of $19.95 on stronger-than-expected fourth-quarter earnings.
- The New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) shows an advance/decline ratio of 2.64, with advancers more than doubling declining stocks.
- Among the top performers on the Big Board today is Molycorp Inc (NYSE:MCP), which is up 6.2% to trade at $5.00, despite any significant news drivers.
- The CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) has fallen 7.7% to 15.91, after spending seven consecutive days atop the 17 mark.
- The iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSEARCA:VXX) is down 4.4% today at $46.22, trading below $47 for the first time since Jan. 30. Meanwhile, the ETN's put/call volume ratio stands at 1.32, with put volume taking a healthy lead over call volume.
View a real-time chart of the Dow Jones Industrial Average (INDEXDJX:.DJI).