Stocks quoted in this article:
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (INDEXDJX:.DJI) is trying to extend its winning streak to four days, and is currently sitting with a 137-point gain at 15,939.09. Newly appointed Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen is delivering testimony before the House Financial Services Committee, and has already noted that the labor market remains in a recovery pattern that is "far from complete." In economic news, wholesale inventories rose by less than expected in December and increased 3.9% during 2013.
Here are a few noteworthy stats at midday:
- The equity put/call volume ratio across all 12 options exchanges is currently perched at 0.79, with call volume outpacing put volume. So far today, 3.59 million calls have changed hands, compared to 2.84 million puts.
- TriQuint Semiconductor (NASDAQ:TQNT) is seeing call-skewed activity today, with nearly 92% of today's option volume changing hands on the call side. The stock has shot 6.5% higher to $8.98 (and earlier secured a new two-year peak of $9.19). Earlier today, the company announced the release of new high-performance filters for use in mobile devices such as smartphones.
- The advance/decline ratio on the Nasdaq Exchange stands at 2.02. Advancing stocks are outpacing declining issues by a margin of roughly 2-to-1 at midday.
- Among today's biggest gainers on the Nasdaq is enterprise software name comScore, Inc. (NASDAQ:SCOR), which is in the news today for reporting better-than-expected fourth-quarter revenue, announcing a management shake-up, and inking a partnership with Google Inc (NASDAQ:GOOG). The stock hit a new two-year high of $31.25 earlier today and is currently up 11.6% at $31.02.
- The CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) is moving lower for the fourth consecutive session, and has now dropped south of the 15 mark. At last check, the "fear gauge" had slipped 0.8 point, or 5.5%, to 14.42.
- Today's put/call volume ratio on the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSEARCA:VXX) stands at 2.14, with put volume trouncing call volume so far. The ETN has declined 4.1% so far today to $43.68.
View a real-time chart of the Dow Jones Industrial Average 2 Minute (INDEXDJX:.DJI).