Stocks quoted in this article:
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (INDEXDJX:.DJI) is sitting solidly in the green, up 65.4 points, or 0.4%, at 16,901.47 -- after hitting a record intraday high of 16,909.22 -- on an encouraging nonfarm payrolls report. Specifically, the economy added more jobs than expected, and the unemployment rate finished slightly below the consensus estimate. Elsewhere, the S&P 500 Index (SPX) also hit a record intraday high of 1,949.25, and was last seen just below that mark, at 1,948.38.
Here are a few noteworthy stats at midday:
- The advance/decline ratio on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) is 3.65, with advancers nearly quadrupling decliners.
- The equity put/call volume ratio across all 12 options exchanges checks in at 0.80, with calls outstripping puts. Currently, 4.06 million calls have changed hands, compared to 3.26 million puts.
- Among the equities with notable call volume is VeriFone Systems Inc (NYSE:PAY), which is up nearly 8% at $36.49, following last night's second-quarter earnings beat and stronger-than-expected top-line guidance for the current quarter. Earlier, the stock also received a trio of price-target hikes, and hit a multi-year high of $36.74. On the options front, PAY's total volume almost quadruples the average intraday amount, and 93.4% of today's activity has transpired on the call side.
- In the latest American Association of Individual Investors (AAII) survey, the percentage of bulls spiked to 36.5% from 30.4%, and notched a 10-week high. Meanwhile, the percentage of bears and neutral investors both fell -- to 23.2% (from 26.4%) and 40.3% (from 43.2%), respectively.
- The CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) is down 0.5 point, or 3.9%, at 11.22 -- after earlier bottoming at a new annual low of 11.14 -- putting it on track for its third straight weekly finish below the 12 level.
- The put/call volume ratio on the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSEARCA:VXX) -- currently hovering 3.8% lower at $30.73, and fresh off a record low of $30.56 -- is 1.28, with puts outnumbering calls.
View a real-time chart of the Dow Jones Industrial Average (INDEXDJX:.DJI).