Stocks quoted in this article:
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (INDEXDJX:.DJI) is undergoing a volatile session, up 25 points one moment and down triple digits the next. Currently, the blue-chip barometer has added 14 points, or 0.01%, at 15,459.28. Investors are digesting the latest ADP employment report -- a precursor to the government's highly anticipated nonfarm payrolls report on Friday -- which indicated domestic private-sector payrolls increased by a slimmer-than-expected 175,000 last month. Elsewhere, the Institute for Supply Management's (ISM) non-manufacturing index rose by more than expected in January, to 54.0 from 53.0 in December.
Here are a few noteworthy stats at midday:
- The equity put/call volume ratio across all 12 options exchanges is currently perched at 0.83, with calls slightly outpacing puts. So far today, 4.33 million calls have changed hands, compared to 3.61 million puts.
- One name seeing heavy call trading today (on a relative basis) is retailer Nordstrom, Inc. (NYSE:JWN), which is sitting 1.3% higher at $56.08. More than 94% of today's option volume has traded on the call side. Nordstrom is slated to unveil its fourth-quarter earnings on Thursday, Feb. 20.
- The advance/decline ratio on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) stands at 0.43, as declining stocks are outpacing advancing issues by a margin of more than 5-to-2.
- One of the biggest downward movers on the Big Board today is 3D Systems Corporation (NYSE:DDD), which has surrendered 20% to $60.60. The stock tagged an intraday low of $54.63 earlier in the session, after the maker of 3D printers offered up weaker-than-expected fourth-quarter earnings guidance.
- The CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) is heading higher once again. The "fear gauge" is up 0.3 points, or 1.7%, climbing to 19.43.
- Today's put/call volume ratio on the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSEARCA:VXX) stands at 1.15, with put volume outpacing call volume so far. The ETN has added 3.1% at midday to $53.42.
View a real-time chart of the Dow Jones Industrial Average 2 Minute (INDEXDJX:.DJI).