Stocks quoted in this article:
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (INDEXDJX:.DJI) hit red ink out of the gate this morning, following JPMorgan Chase & Co.'s (NYSE:JPM) less-than-stellar first-quarter earnings report, and while the index has pared a portion of these earlier losses after a couple of mixed economic reports, it is still sitting 57.90 points, or 0.36%, below the flat line at 16,112.32. Specifically, last month, U.S. producer prices increased at their highest rate in nine months, due to increased costs of food and services. Meanwhile, the Thomson Reuters/University of Michigan's preliminary consumer sentiment reading hit a nine-month high in April, pointing to higher consumer satisfaction.
Here are a few noteworthy stats at midday:
- The equity put/call volume ratio across all 12 options exchanges stands at 1.20. Roughly 4.39 million calls, compared to about 5.28 million puts, have crossed the tape so far.
- Among the names with call-heavy trading activity today, meanwhile, is Tibco Software Inc. (NASDAQ:TIBX). At last check, nearly 99% of the stock's intraday options volume had changed hands on the call side. On the charts, meanwhile, TIBX is up 0.9% to trade at $19.61.
- The New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) shows an advance/decline ratio of 0.55, with decliners easily outpacing advancing stocks.
- Among the underperformers on the NYSE today is Walter Energy, Inc. (NYSE:WLT), which is extending yesterday's analyst-induced, dropping 5.7% so far to trade at $7.29.
- In the latest American Association of Individual Investors (AAII) survey, the percentage of bulls plummeted to a nine-week low of 28.5% from the previous week's reading of 35.4%, while the percentage of bears spiked to 34.1% from 26.8%. The percentage of neutral investors was largely unchanged, registering at 37.4% from a reading of 37.9% last week.
- The CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) is up 3.8% at 16.49 this afternoon, after earlier reaching its highest intraday level since mid-March.
- The iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSEARCA:VXX) has tacked on 1.15% to $43.95. Meanwhile, the ETN's put/call volume ratio stands at 0.47, with call volume roughly doubling put volume.
View a real-time chart of the Dow Jones Industrial Average 2 Minute (INDEXDJX:.DJI).