Stocks quoted in this article:
After rallying to a new intraday peak right out of the gate, the Dow Jones Industrial Average (INDEXDJX:.DJI) was last seen lingering just south of breakeven, down 28.83 points, or 0.17%, at 16,543.72. Although this morning's nonfarm payrolls report showed strong job growth for the second straight month, the number fell short of consensus estimates. Meanwhile, the unemployment rate remained unchanged at 6.7%, as more people entered the labor force.
Here are a few noteworthy stats at midday:
- The equity put/call volume ratio across all 12 options exchanges stands at 0.94. Roughly 4.97 million calls, compared to about 4.71 million puts, have crossed the tape so far.
- Among the names with call-heavy trading activity today is CenterPoint Energy, Inc. (NYSE:CNP). At last check, all of the stock's intraday options volume had changed hands on the call side. On the charts, meanwhile, CNP is up just 0.5% to trade at $23.99.
- The Nasdaq shows an advance/decline ratio of 0.24, with decliners roughly quadrupling advancing stocks.
- Among the underperformers on the Nasdaq today is Halozyme Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ:HALO), which is down 28.2% to trade at $8.31, after temporarily halting phase 2 enrollment of its pancreatic cancer treatment study.
- In the latest American Association of Individual Investors (AAII) poll, the percentage of bulls increased to 35.4% from 31.2%. Meanwhile, the percentage of bears and neutral investors dipped to 26.8% (from 28.6%) and 37.9% (from 40.2%), respectively.
- The CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) is up 3.6% at 13.85 this afternoon. The market's "fear gauge" opened this morning south of the 13 mark, but has managed to climb its way back north as stocks stage a retreat.
- The iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSEARCA:VXX) has tacked on 1.5% to $41.62. Meanwhile, the ETN's put/call volume ratio stands at 1.11 with put volume slightly outpacing call volume.
View a real-time chart of the Dow Jones Industrial Average 2 Minute (INDEXDJX:.DJI).