Stocks quoted in this article:
U.S. stock futures are on the upswing again this morning, with the S&P 500 Index (SPX) set to revisit the 2,000 level. In company news, today's stocks to watch include microblogging platform Twitter Inc (NYSE:TWTR), streaming entertainment provider Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX), fast-food giant Burger King Worldwide Inc (NYSE:BKW), and Canadian coffee-and-doughnut chain Tim Hortons Inc. (USA) (NYSE:THI).
- Twitter Inc (NYSE:TWTR) has expanded its Twitter Ads network to 12 new countries across Central and Eastern Europe, with the company citing "tremendous growth in this region over the last year." In a statement, TWTR noted that the newly expanded roster of nations means Twitter Ads are now available in 35 countries across Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. (TechCrunch)
- Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX) was completely shut out at last night's Emmy awards, with its flagship show House of Cards losing out to the defunct AMC Networks Inc (NASDAQ:AMCX) juggernaut Breaking Bad in key drama categories. However, awards season wasn't a complete wash for NFLX. Earlier this month, at the Creative Arts Emmys, Orange Is the New Black regular Uzo Aduba took home a statue for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy. (Mashable; People)
- One day after reports of a major fast-food merger sent both stocks soaring, Burger King Worldwide Inc (NYSE:BKW) is now officially moving forward with its acquisition of Tim Hortons Inc. (USA) (NYSE:THI). The deal will allow BKW to relocate its headquarters to Canada in a tax inversion, though sources indicate the U.S. will still receive its fair share of taxes from the newly formed burger-and-doughnuts behemoth. Helping to fund the deal is Dairy Queen tycoon Warren Buffett, who's putting $3 billion in preferred equity financing toward the takeover. (CNBC)
- Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) is offering free battery replacements for some of the iPhone 5 units sold between September 2012 and January 2013. According to AAPL, the repairs are being offered because some of the batteries in question may "suddenly experience shorter battery life or need to be charged more frequently." (CNN Money)
- On the earnings front, Best Buy Co Inc (NYSE:BBY), DSW Inc. (NYSE:DSW), and Trina Solar Limited (ADR) (NYSE:TSL) will be in focus today after reporting their latest quarterly results. (MarketWatch)